We weren’t certain if the Windows Insider group would be capable to pull it off this week, however a brand new Windows 10 preview build is now accessible in the Dev channel. The build 20197 is a reasonably minor replace, although it brings a welcome new function with the skill to manage disks and volumes proper from the Settings apps. The Windows Insider group says that the expertise has been designed with accessibility in thoughts, and that it additionally integrates properly with different options equivalent to Storage areas.
This new build additionally brings minor adjustments to the new Alt + Tab expertise following the addition of Edge tabs subsequent to Windows apps, and the group additionally mentioned that choose Insiders might also see a brand new Internet shopping part in the Settings app. You will get extra particulars about new options, bug fixes, and identified points under:
Bringing Disk Administration into Settings
We talked about we had extra Settings work on the method, and right here’s the subsequent one – as of right this moment’s build you’ll now be capable to manage your disks and volumes from inside the Settings app. This consists of duties equivalent to viewing disk info, creating and formatting volumes, and assigning drive letters.
In contrast to the present Disk Administration MMC snap-in, this contemporary expertise was constructed from the floor as much as with accessibility in thoughts. It additionally options higher integration with options equivalent to Storage Areas and the Storage breakdown web page.
Go to Settings > System > Storage and click on Manage Disks and Volumes to get began. We’d love to listen to your suggestions when you attempt it out.
The prevailing Disk Administration MMC snap-in continues to be accessible for those who want it.
- We’re updating the ALT + Tab behavior with Microsoft Edge tabs to now have a default of displaying at most 5 tabs, somewhat than any latest tabs. If at any level you’d like to alter this, you’ll be able to below Settings > System > Multitasking.
- We’re exploring together with a Internet Shopping part in the Settings header, and Insiders might begin to see this.
- Going ahead solely the presently energetic profile image will show below Your Data in Settings.
- Based mostly on suggestions we’re turning off ESENT Warning Occasion ID 642.
- It’s now potential to pick out the new Microsoft Edge as your required app in Assigned Assess.
- We’ve up to date Narrator in order that now when utilizing the Microsoft Pinyin IME, Narrator is ready to distinguish candidate characters/phrases by offering detailed studying info.
- We fastened a difficulty the place the letter headers in the Begin menu’s all apps checklist had pointless left padding when the all apps checklist was set to hidden.
- We fastened a difficulty the place ALT + Tabbing to a browser tab generally moved the beforehand energetic browser tab to the entrance of the Alt + Tab checklist as effectively.
- We fastened a difficulty the place should you’d pinned a web site to your taskbar and then moved your Microsoft Edge window with that web site open over to a special digital desktop, the pinned sit wouldn’t present the corresponding open tabs on that new desktop.
- We fastened a difficulty the place the sysprep command was failing with the error 0x80073CFA in the previous few builds.
- We fastened a difficulty the place Group Coverage Editor was displaying a popup error about WnsEndpoint_Policy in the previous few flights.
- We fastened a difficulty the place the Get-Quantity PowerShell command wasn’t recognizing volumes in the exFAT format.
- We fastened a difficulty impacting explorer.exe launch efficiency when booting up and logging in for the first time.
- We fastened a difficulty the place pinned File Explorer folders in Begin would seem with a darker background than different tiles in gentle mode.
- We fastened a race situation that would lead to the Font Settings web page crashing.
- We fastened a difficulty the place Font Settings and Themes Settings had been displaying the previous fashion of Microsoft Retailer icon.
- We fastened a difficulty that would lead to the Community Standing web page in Settings displaying an previous community identify, somewhat than the one that you simply’re presently linked to and inconsistent with what the community flyout displayed.
- We fastened a difficulty leading to sure VPNs with the choice “Robotically use my Windows log-on identify and password (and area, if any) enabled now not connecting mechanically.
- We fastened a difficulty leading to some Insiders experiencing a bugcheck in latest builds citing a hyperguard violation.
- We fastened a difficulty when utilizing the search field in File Explorer, the place urgent the enter key would lead to keyboard focus leaping to the fast entry part of the navigation pane somewhat than to the search outcomes.
- We fastened a difficulty with the Microsoft Pinyin IME, the place typing sure phrases would lead to the candidate pane unexpectedly dismissing.
- We fastened a difficulty with the Microsoft Pinyin IME, the place when utilizing double pinyin fashion, when typing one thing like “goldb;du” the place the first candidate may very well be an English phrase the conversion wouldn’t work.
- We fastened a difficulty when typing with the Japanese IME that would lead to not with the ability to enter symbols utilizing Shift+<quantity keys> into password fields generally.
- We fastened a difficulty that would lead to sure apps crashing when typing incorrect combos with the Chinese language Conventional DaYi IME.
- We fastened a difficulty with the Microsoft Bopomofo IME the place it was consuming Shift key up occasions after they resulted in IME mode toggle actions.
- We fastened a difficulty that would lead to a CTFMON.exe when altering focus to sure apps (like Outlook) whereas typing with an IME.
- We fastened a difficulty the place ImmGetCompositionString wasn’t returning the appropriate IME composition string for YOMI textual content fields.
- We fastened a difficulty the place the Windows key on the full contact keyboard structure wouldn’t develop into highlighted after tapping on it in latest builds.
- We fastened a difficulty when utilizing Narrator the place Scan Mode wouldn’t keep off in Microsoft Groups.
- We fastened a difficulty leading to Microsoft Flight Simulator failing to launch on the earlier two flights with an error citing: “The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect”.
- We’re engaged on a repair for a difficulty the place some Microsoft Retailer video games protected with Simple Anti-Cheat might fail to launch.
- We’re wanting into studies of the replace course of hanging for prolonged intervals of time when trying to put in a brand new build.
- We’re engaged on a repair for a difficulty the place the min/max/shut buttons are caught of their unique positions after resizing a UWP app. For those who transfer the app window the place ought to replace.
- We’re investigating studies that the new taskbar expertise for pinned websites isn’t working for some websites.
- We’re engaged on a repair to allow reside preview for pinned web site tabs.
- We’re engaged on enabling the new taskbar expertise for present pinned websites. In the meantime, you’ll be able to unpin the web site from the taskbar, take away it from the edge://apps web page, and then re-pin the web site.
- We’re engaged on a repair for a difficulty the place pinned websites don’t present all open tabs for a website. In the meantime, you’ll be able to repair this by pinning the web site’s homepage somewhat than a selected web page (e.g. pin microsoft.com somewhat than microsoft.com/home windows).
Earlier this week, the Windows Insider group mentioned that they may not be able to ship a new build for the Dev channel this week after discovering a critical bug in the earlier launch candidate build. We’re glad that the group managed to discover a resolution, and we hope to see one other flight with extra new options subsequent week.